Purpose of the Role
This role is part of a close knit, sales focused team, with an emphasis on maximising show income at William Aston Hall through the implementation of campaigns. They work as part of the Communications and Giving Team to ensure we hit targets, maximum audiences, bring in new visitors, maintain high levels of earned income and gain excellent brand recognition.
Theatr Clwyd is a cultural hub, producing world-class theatre in the hills of North Wales. Since 1976 we have been serving our communities and delivering the highest quality theatre and arts experience for the people of North Wales and beyond.
Our mission is increasingly important to us in all that we do.
To make the world a happier place, one moment at a time.
We are fortunate enough to be one of very few theatres in the UK to build sets, make costumes, paint scenery and create props inhouse. These essential theatre making skills ensure that we can push theatrical boundaries to create stunning shows from the seed of a writer’s imagination. Since 2018 this has been recognised by the theatre industry with awards from UK Theatre, The Stage and the Olivier’s.
The development of theatre makers in our community is key to sustaining Wales and the UK’s cultural sector. We have spaces for writers and companies dovetailed with technical apprenticeships and trainee directors to create a building which supports emerging creatives in developing artistic excellence.
We use our skills to underpin social transformation in our communities. We creatively address social and educational challenges such as youth justice while bridging social and economic divides. We recognise the immediate impact and long term benefits the arts can provide to aid psychological and physical wellbeing. We collaborate with Wales’ largest NHS health board and local social services to meet the challenges facing health and social care by supporting our communities.
We have a recent annual turnover of around £7m and are funded by a combination of Arts Council Wales, Flintshire County Council, box office ticket sales, commercial income and fundraising from individuals, trusts and foundations and corporate sponsorship.
Hours: 37 hours per week
Starting Salary: £19,313
Responsible to: Communications & Campaigns Manager
Responsible for: N/A
Closing Date: Wednesday 18th May 2022, 5pm
Duties and Responsibilities
- To implement marketing campaigns under the guidance of the marketing campaign manager – this might include social media posts, print distribution and website updates.
- To collate, process and share information about incoming events ready for marketing usage
- To contribute towards the creation of marketing plans for events at William Aston Hall
- Maintenance of William Aston Hall’s communication channels (incl. Facebook, Twitter & Instagram)
- The first point-of-contact for questions and queries about William Aston Hall
- Maintenance and operation of William Aston Hall’s website
- To create and share digital assets, including utilising Theatr Clwyd's e-mail system.
- To act as a point-of-contact and key advocate of the William Aston Hall website's ongoing development.
- Ensure that customer-facing sales teams are briefed on campaigns & events.
- To work with visiting Companies and Performers.
- To follow any relevant financial processes
- To collate, where required, invoices for services used
- Implementation of elements of Communications campaigns, under the guidance of the line manager.
This may include (but not be limited to):
- Copywriting (e.g. direct mail, e-mail, website, social media, press releases, briefing documents)
- Print (e.g. monitoring levels, building distribution, refreshing posters)
- Collation & creation of marketing assets (e.g. images, reviews, podcasting, video, programme info)
- Distribution (e.g. cinema flyer to libraries, exit flyers)
- Database Maintenance (e.g. print, distribution locations)
- Website (e.g. ability to add content to the website)
- Press & PR (e.g. inputting press listings, meeting & greeting journalists, looking after actors at interviews)
- Social Media (e.g. ability to write and post social media content, reply to queries)
- Attending events to talk to the public about the work of the theatre and distribute marketing materials.
- Ensure continued familiarity with William Aston Hall’s brand, segmentations and Communications & Giving Strategy.
- To keep abreast of new and relevant fundraising, sales, marketing, entertainment and theatrical trends.
- To attend productions, events and other Theatr Clwyd activities.
- To represent and positively promote the organisation at all levels.
- To perform any other duties as reasonably requested by the Communications & Giving Director.
- Emergency box office cover (training will be provided)
To support colleagues and offer a warm welcome to anyone coming into contact with the organisation.
- Basic marketing experience/knowledge.
- Demonstrable experience of using social media, word, excel, PowerPoint to a high level.
- Excellent written & verbal communications skills
- Fast-working and quick to absorb feedback and amend accordingly
- Ability to apply adaptive and lateral thinking, manage multiple tasks and work under pressure
- A commitment to excellence and a relentless drive to be the best.
- Excellent use of language – a flair for writing and the ability to write in a variety of contexts and tones.
• Ability to appreciate and speak convincingly about all genres of the arts supported by Theatr Clwyd
• Good working knowledge of box office systems
• Excellent numeracy skills
• Spoken and written Welsh
• Basic marketing experience
• An interest in comedy, music, theatre and the arts
• Full driving licence
The Marketing and Communications Department at Theatr Clwyd is the central department for promoting the work of the theatre to the widest possible audience and maximising revenue from ticket sales. It promotes and develops the brand in line with the overall vision and provides the necessary research to identify and engage with our audience, both locally and nationally.